Part-time Associate, Advocacy Health Educator (CA #1920-117)
City: Los Angeles
The American Lung Association has a great opportunity for a PT Associate, Advocacy Health Educator to join our incredible team in the California Region. Working as a member of the Advocacy and Public Policy Team, you will join an outstanding group of professionals dedicated to our mission: to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease, through research, education and advocacy.
In this role, you will be responsible for providing support to manage relationships between community members and key government and elected officials at the local and state levels. Will use community organizing skills to build relationships with community members, patients, staff, and other partners to advocate for Lung Association supported public policy on lung health-related issues. Ensure that our constituents and their stories will have a voice and a place in the public policy process. Grant work will be focused on various communities in the Los Angeles County region.
- Support the LA County Strengthening Tobacco Retail Licensing grant (STRL) with tasks, such as note-taking, agenda development, creative input, managing projects, and other grant administrative/management support
- Help develop and maintain relationships with key government officials on an ongoing basis; enhance understanding of Lung Association mission and activities
- Educate local and state elected officials to pass Lung Association endorsed lung health-related policies.
- Engage constituents and volunteers into advocacy activities, such as meeting with elected officials, writing letters, and writing op-eds.
- Build awareness and understanding of advocacy programs among staff and volunteers through ongoing communications; serve as a resource for staff and volunteers including the training and mobilization of leadership volunteers.
- Identify policy success stories, personal stories and potential spokespeople for communications and development teams to highlight internally and externally.
- Assist with the cultivation of productive relationships with the media in the market.
- Help to monitor local public policy efforts throughout the region, conduct organizing trainings and provide technical assistance and advocacy engagement to coalition members and community partner groups
- Represent Lung Association on relevant local and regional coalitions (tobacco control, asthma and air quality.)
- Lead local research and outreach for the annual State of Tobacco Control and State of the Air signature reports and maximize media coverage through strategic media outreach
- Support the local development team by improving alignment and coordination of Lung Association mission, advocacy and community engagement into fundraising initiatives.
- Work as an integrated member of the Lung Association local market office team
- Provide leadership in building a strong working relationship with Regional staff.
- Travel on a regular basis throughout the Los Angeles County region, providing support, direction and guidance to staff, volunteers and partners.
- Cultivate and sustain a strong, team-oriented culture with an emphasis on results and accountability.
- Model volunteer/staff partnership including staff-to-staff and volunteer-to-volunteer management.
- Represent interests, professionalism and integrity of Lung Association in all activities and relationships through a unified message of the Lung Association mission and a commitment to organizational standards and leadership by personal example.
- Bachelor degree or equivalent from an accredited college or university is required
- 1+ years of progressively responsible experience in public policy or advocacy Related work, community outreach, community organizing and public health advocacy.
- Experience in recruitment/outreach.
- Experience in public speaking.
- Experience in budget management, grant writing and grant management a plus.
- Experience working in a matrix environment a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to work with non-profit organizations, community members, elected officials, city staff, advocates, public health professionals.
- Ability to communicate clearly and appropriately to a diversity of audiences.
- Community organizing experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Interact effectively and tactfully with all levels of management
- Ability to manage and add value to multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to work independently, problem solve, thrive under pressure, perform multiple tasks and meet deadlines
- Exceptional people skills and an ability to work effectively with diverse populations (economic, cultural, and social).
- Strong spoken, analytical and written skills
- Highly organized with excellent attention to detail, accuracy and quality
- Broad cultural competency
- Consistent with its mission, the American Lung Association maintains a smoke-free workplace; all employees must abstain from tobacco use in any form.
To apply send a cover letter & resume to (include job title and job number in subject of email):
Brian Le: Manager, Advocacy
American Lung Association
The American Lung Association is dedicated to a diverse workforce.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
Sign up for the latest lung health news sent right to your inbox.
Join more than 500,000 people who receive research updates, inspiring stories, health information and more.