Division Director, Marketing & Communications - Eastern (NYC #1920-122)
City: New York
State: New York
The American Lung Association has a great opportunity for a Division Director, Marketing & Communications – Eastern to join our incredible team in the National Division. Working as a member of the Marketing & Communications Team, you will join an outstanding group of professionals dedicated to our mission: to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease, through research, education and advocacy.
In this role, The Eastern Division Marketing and Communications Director is responsible for the execution of the National communication and marketing strategies locally (for the states of NY, VT, RI, ME, NH, MA, CT) as well as developing local strategies to increase awareness of the American Lung Association’s mission and to promote the Association’s policy, health promotions and development activities. The Marketing and Communications Director conducts media outreach and media relations in the key markets in these areas around Lung Association signature reports, events, programs and initiatives, to build conversations in the news media and drive public, donor and media engagement, provides staff in those states with marketing assistance and approval of promotional pieces and assists with social media efforts.
- Executes media relations in the region for the American Lung Association’s signature reports (“State of Lung Cancer,” “State of Tobacco Control” and “State of the Air”), and initiatives (LUNG FORCE, Healthy Air, Anti-Vaping, etc.)
- Manages proactive and reactive media relations activities for the region, responding to media requests in a timely manner; and utilizing local storytellers and positioning Lung Association spokespersons, employees and volunteers as lung-related subject matter experts to media outlets in the region;
- Serves as a member of National Marketing and Communications Leadership Team (MCLT), providing staff with content and marketing assistance for their promotional efforts;
- Ensures all communications and collateral material adheres to Lung Association (or LUNG FORCE) Brand Guidelines;
- Proactively builds relationships with media in major markets to secure coverage of policy, program and development initiatives;
- Assists events staff in developing media partnerships with local media stations to promote events and acts as onsite media contact for select events
- Assists health education and advocacy staff with sponsorship-related media and marketing
- Manage and cultivate media lists for distributions and targeted pitching;
- Monitors regional media coverage daily;
- Assists with managing organizational presence on social media sites and monitors local social media for adherence to best practices;
- Manages regional Marketing and Communications budget for region;
- Provide localized content for national e-communications, when appropriate;
- Manages LUNG FORCE Hero intake information;
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field: Communications, Marketing, Journalism.
- 5-7 years of marketing and communications experience, with proven media relations success
- Exceptional oral and written communications skills
- Robust computer and e-communications skills; strong knowledge of a variety of computer programs.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, including attention to detail.
- Self-motivated with ability to take initiative on projects; strong analytical and strategic reasoning skills and the ability to work with other members of the team.
- Experience with social media.
- Provide personal transportation to attend meetings and functions with a valid driver's license and proof of personal auto insurance.
- Should possess a passion for great work in a team environment
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite
- Manage timelines of multiple projects and priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Accuracy and attention to detail and deadlines – strong project management skills.
- Consistent with its mission, the American Lung Association maintains a smokefree workplace, all employees must abstain from tobacco use in any form.
To apply send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to (include job title and job number in subject of email):
Human Resources Department
American Lung Association
The American Lung Association is dedicated to a diverse workforce.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
Sign up for the latest lung health news sent right to your inbox.
Join more than 500,000 people who receive research updates, inspiring stories, health information and more.