This website uses cookies. By continuing you are agreeing to our privacy policy.

Eyal Oren, PhD

Research Awards Nationwide Recipient (2015-2016)

Arizona Board of Regents, University of Arizona
Using Texting to Encourage People to Take Their TB Medicine
Social Behavioral Research Grant

While one-third of the world's population is currently infected with the TB germ, only about 10 percent of those infected will develop tuberculosis (TB) disease. The remaining 90 percent have latent TB, meaning their immune system can successfully fight the infection. Treatment of latent TB with an antibiotic reduces the risk it will progress to active disease. However, since these individuals feel well and have to take the medication for many months, as few as one-third complete treatment. We will investigate whether daily text message reminders help people to take their medication, preferences for receiving the messages, and whether this approach is affordable for tuberculosis clinics.

Update: We have completed our form and database development, created a web-based texting application and have begun participant enrollment in our study. We plan to continue exploring the acceptability and feasibility of a texting intervention for increasing latent TB treatment adherence.

Red button with telephone
Ask An Expert

Questions about your lung health? Need help finding healthcare? Call 1-800-LUNGUSA.

Get help
Red button of two hand prints
We need your generous support

Make a difference by delivering research, education and advocacy to those impacted by lung disease.

Button of turquoise LUNG FORCE swirl

LUNG FORCE unites women and their loved ones across the country to stand together in the fight against lung cancer.

Get involved
Join the fight for healthy lungs and healthy air.
Donate Now.


Breathe Easy

Give today and your tax-deductible gift will go TWICE as far for everyone who struggles to breathe.